Are you in search of the best vacuum for high pile carpet but aren’t sure which one to buy? This is a common problem as not all vacuums can get deep down in the carpet where most of the dirt sits. Furthermore, some vacuums may even damage the carpet. The next time you’re looking for a high pile carpet vacuum you can rest assured as our reviews will give you an idea what to look for.
The models we’ve mentioned below are specific towards high pile carpets and we’ve looked into their ventilation, suction, and filtration as well as the technical details which we’ve detailed on a comparison table. We’ve also gone over the features you need to look for to get the right vacuum. Buying the best vacuum for high pile carpet no longer has to be a challenge. So let’s check out some of the leading products on the market to get started.
A buying guide for the best vacuum for high pile carpet
There are countless vacuums on the market and without proper knowledge, it can be difficult to find the right high pile carpet vacuum cleaner. We aim to spare you from testing hundreds of machines in a big box store so we want you to learn a few things to look for when shopping. Investing in the right machine today will keep you happy in the long run. Not only will you enjoy super-clean floors, but also avoid hefty replacement costs for your carpets. Pay a little more for the right vacuum and reap the rewards.
Here are common features of the best vacuums for high pile carpets.
- HEPA filtration: Shag carpets accumulate a lot of dirt in their fibers. When cleaning, if there is not a proper filtration mechanism, these particles are released into the air. A vacuum with HEPA filtration ensures those micro-particles are trapped inside thereby leaving clean healthy air behind.
- Venting: A high pile carpet vacuum requires extra venting to keep the head from getting sucked into the carpet. Venting creates a flow of air which maintains suction without having the vacuum stuck to the floor
- Attachments: Depending on the type of cleaning you do, you will need a number of attachments for your vacuum. A bare floor doesn’t need additional accessories but cleaning thick carpet fibers necessitates a specialized brush
- Brushes: For a super-soft carpet, you need a gentle brush that will not damage the thick pile. Look for effective bristles on a roller brush
What is the best vacuum for high pile carpet?
Other technology might be of great use, but generally, here is what you should look for in the best high pile carpet vacuum.
- Larger Wheels
The problem of using a vacuum with small wheels on a thick carpet is that it gets stuck in the deep pile. If this happens, you will struggle to maneuver the appliance over the carpet. Sometimes you are forced to carry it instead of rolling it. That is why you need bigger wheels.
- Gentle Suction
You don’t need the highest suction power to get rid of dirt from a thick carpet. Moderate power does the job better because it doesn’t damage the fibers you’re trying to clean. That means you can give a long life to your carpet.
- Controlled Beater Bar/ Brush
Medium to low pile carpets require beater bars and brushes to get clean. However, they are not suitable for wool rugs or high pile carpets. To effectively clean your delicate and thick carpeted floor, look for a machine with no bars or brushes. In case they are included, make sure they can be switched off.
- Air Filter
Thicker carpets have longer fibers and that’s the reason dirt and debris dig in all the way to the backing. An air filter ensures dirt is pulled out completely rather than sent back into the air only to fall back onto the carpet.
- Lightweight Frame
A heavy machine is difficult to work with no matter the carpet you clean. Things get worse when the carpet is high-pile. A heavy vacuum sinks and gets entangled with the long fibers. This will end up putting unnecessary burden on you, something that could cause a backache in the long run.
|Model||Suction system||Beater Bar or Brush||Air Filter||Weight|
|Bissell 9595A Clean||Cyclonic||TurboBrush||Multi-level filter||15.1 pounds|
|Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer FH50150||DualV nozzle||SpinScrub||None||18.1 lbs|
|Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Rewind||WindTunnel Technology||Motorized brush||HEPA filter||16.5 pounds|
|Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional NV356E||
|Controlled Brushroll||HEPA filter, Pre-motor foam filter, and pre-motor felt filter||7.5 pounds|
|Eureka Mighty Mite Corded Canister Vacuum Cleaner, 3670H||12-amp motor||No brush||None||8.6 pounds|
|Dirt Devil Vacuum Cleaner Dynamite||7-amp motor||Controlled brush roll||HEPA Filter||10.75 pounds|
|Bissell Cleanview 1831||8 amps, Multi-Cyclonic suction||Mini rotating brush roll||Multi-level filtration||15.4 pounds|
|Shark Navigator SN360||Lift-Away||Controlled beater bar||HEPA filter||13 pounds|
|Oreck U2000R||3.5 amps||Helix roller brush||Disposable HEPA bags||7.7 pounds|
|Soniclean Soft Carpet Upright Vacuum Cleaner||200 vibrations per second||Soft bristle brush||HEPA Filter||10.5 pounds|
Product Reviews: Top 10 vacuums for high pile carpet in 2019
Tired of wasting your money on expensive and overhyped vacuums that salesmen claim to be the ultimate solutions for cleaning long pile carpets? We are finally responding to your plea. After reviewing countless models on the market, we finally chose 10 of the top performers. We assure you these super appliances will fulfill every cleaning requirement of your Berber, shag, or frieze carpet. Every model we’ve picked is based on the suction power, performance, and all the factors that we’ve discussed in the previous section. Here are the items that made the cut.
The Bissell 9595A is a high carpet vacuum manufactured by BISSELL HomeCare, Inc. If you have pets in your home and need a low-cost vacuum to clean out pet hair, this model could be your best bet. Plus, the hose can reach up to 8 stairs without lifting the vacuum base.
- OnePass brush roll
- Weighs 15.1 pounds
- 2-Liter dirt tank capacity
- 25-foot cord
- Size: 12.5 x 13.5 x 44 inches
- Cyclonic system
- TurboBrush tool
- Multi-level filter plus a washable foam tank filter
- Easy-Empty dirt canister
- Ideal for removing pet hair
- Fast cleaning thanks to the lightweight design
- The cyclonic system provides powerful long-lasting suction
- An innovative rotating brush cleans deep on the first pass
- Performs poorly on hard floors
The quality of the Bissell 9595A versus its price tag is probably the best thing about this model. Compared to other corded models, it tops in value for money.
The Hoover FH50150 is one of the most popular vacuums by HOOVER INC/TTI FLOOR CARE. Apart from an appealing price tag and great online reviews, what are the other reasons behind its popularity?
- 18.1 lbs
- 20 ft cord
- Tank capacity: 1 gallon
- 8-foot hose
- Heated cleaning
- SpinScrub brush system
- Dual tank technology (for clean and dirty water)
- DualV Nozzle
- 2 Year Limited Warranty
- Accessories: mesh tool storage bag, cleaning solution, stair tool, crevice tool
- Automaticaly mixes detergent
- The SpinScrub mechanism has plenty of brushes which are great for eliminating tough stains
- Plenty of handles for easier transportation up and down stairs
- Ensures the proper ratio of water and soap through the automatic detergent mixing technology
- The rinse technology allows the user to clean carpets with soap and choose an ideal rinsing option
- Comes with a handy upholstery tool for cleaning sofas and car seats
- The clean water tank requires frequent refilling when washing a large carpeted area
The Hoover Power Scrub carpet cleaner is a wonderful option for anyone who needs to clean their high pile carpets at a good price. The lightweight cleaner fits any budget range.
When you need a high carpet cleaner for small messes in the house, you can never go wrong with the Hoover T-Series. It will also serve as a good vacuum for furniture, flooring, and other areas of your house. The Hoover vacuum is suitable for allergy sufferers.
- WindTunnel technology
- Rinsable and quality HEPA filter
- 5 height adjustment settings
- Retractable power cord – 25ft
- Measures 16” x 12” x 32.5”
- 16.5 pounds
- 88dB of noise
- System check indicator
- Cyclonic filter and bin
- Extension wand, power hand tool, dusting brush, 8-inch hose, crevice tool
- No-Scuff bumper for furniture protection
- Catches the smallest dust particles and allergens
- Not particularly noisy
- There’s no swivel head so it’s not easy to maneuver
While it’s not the easiest machine to control, this lightweight vacuum has plenty convenient features. You can count on its great suction power to clean up most messes.
Eureka is best known for producing innovative products which is reflected in the lightweight Eureka Mighty Mite 3670H.
A bagged canister together with other useful features, makes it easy to clean a wide surface area.
- Weighs 8.6 lbs
- 12-amp motor
- Bagged design
- Power Touch handle
- Blower port
- Accessories: dual-purpose dusting brush, upholstery nozzle, rod, and crevice tool
- 10-inch cleaning path
- Big wheels
- Extension wand
- Carrying strap
- 2 height adjustment settings
- Powerful suction for deep cleaning high pile carpets
- The upholstery nozzle makes it easier to clean hard-to-reach places
- The easy-to-empty canister ensures a no-mess cleanup
- Extra-long reach with an extension wand
- Convenient power cord storage to minimize tangling
- The cord is relatively short
You can now clean those hard-to-reach areas with the popular Mighty Mite vacuum. The blower port is particularly useful when you are troubled with debris on your workshop floors.
If you hate dragging around a heavy cleaning unit on your carpeted floors, then the bag-less Devil Dynamite M084650 is be a perfect option. Its suction power is strong enough to clean a variety of messes from carpets while ensuring the integrity of those delicate fibers. This upright vacuum is also a great appliance for pet owners. It removes every strand of pet hair after a few passes.
- HEPA filter
- Upright design with tools
- 10.75 lbs
- 92dB of noise
- Retractable handle
- Revolving brush
- Scuff Guard nozzle for protecting delicate surfaces
- Features auto height adjustment
- 25-foot power cord
- Stretch hose, extension wand, crevice tool, and dusting brush
- A click-lock handle facilitates easy storage and transportation as it lowers to 31 inches
- Adjusts to any carpet design and hard floor
- No tools required for assembly
- Good suction for delicate carpets
- A motorized brush performs great on fine carpet fibers
- The hose is too short to reach higher shelves
If you don’t mind lugging around a vacuum without a self-propelling head, the Dirt Devil Dynamite is a great buy. At an affordable price, you can accomplish a wide spectrum of cleaning routines without hefty maintenance requirements. Try it if you have a small house with a mix of resilient floors and deep pile carpets.
This is one of the best budget options on our list. It does an excellent job at cleaning embedded dirt with high suction power.
Even though a lot of users complain about its weight, we assure you it’s one of the best machines you can use to vacuum frieze carpet.
- 15.4 lbs
- Multi-Cyclonic suction
- 8 amps of power
- Multi-level filtration
- Mini rotating brush roll
- OnePass technology
- 25 ft. power cord, 13.5-inch cleaning path
- Tools: dusting brush, TurboBrush, extension wand, and crevice tool
- Automatic cord rewind
- 2-liter dirt canister capacity
- Powerful suction and the innovative brush cleans out embedded dust in a single pass
- Dirt particles hardly escape into the air through the vacuum
- A washable filter ensures all debris is trapped to minimize allergens
- Affordable price
- Quiet operation
- Some dirt may be scattered when cleaning bare floors
Online reviewers can’t help but praise this affordable Bissell model despite its heavy weight. For good housekeeping with maximum power, this vacuum is worth a try.
The Oreck Magnesium LW is a true work of art. With quality features and durable construction, it one of the most reliable self-propelled vacuums for high pile carpets, hard floors, and around furniture.
- 7.7 lbs
- Magnesium construction
- Helix roller brush with 7000rpm
- 3.5 Amps motor
- Side horse-hair brushes for cleaning clutter in corners
- Two speed settings: high and low
- Disposable HEPA bags
- Wireless power level switch
- The vacuum lays flat when reaching under furniture
- Swivel steering
- 30-foot cord
- ON/OFF switch under the handle
- 7-year limited warranty
- Long cord for speedy vacuuming
- Lightweight design
- Built to last
- Sucks dirt, hair, and dust with ease
- Easy navigation with slim swivel design
- Weak LED lights
Whenever you need the lightest vacuum for deep pile carpet with excellent power, the Oreck Magnesium LW100 has your back. You will never have air pollution issues in your house and you will be able to transition from bare floors to carpets effortlessly.
Zenith Technologies, LLC is the name behind the Soniclean Soft Carpet vacuum. If you are on the lookout for a safe cleaner for your premium soft carpet, you will want to check into this model.
- 10.5 pounds
- Sonicfresh fragrance dispensing system
- Hospital-grade HEPA filtration
- Soft bristle brush roll
- Direct-air paramagnetic motor
- Sonic cleaning technology (200 vibrations/second)
- Adjustable vent system
- Advanced jam protection
- Digitally controlled multi-speed motor
- Full bag indicators
- Large front wheels
- 35 ft, power cord
- Rolls easily over the carpet
- The soft brush roll is gentle on plush carpet
- Reaches underneath furniture
- Releases a refreshing scent
- Two modes for different carpet styles
- Extra cost for scented pods and bags
Is your regular vacuum too hard to push across a high pile carpet? The Soniclean vacuum will be gentle on wool fibers so you can enjoy your high pile carpet for years to come.
Commonly asked questions about vacuuming a high pile carpet
How to vacuum high pile carpet?
A shag carpet is beautiful to touch. Use the following tips to perfectly clean it.
- Take the carpet outside and shake out any dirt and allow it to stay in the sun for about 2 hours
- Suck the dirt out with a special vacuum for thick carpet. Roll it up to expose the underside and vacuum the floor beneath
- Do not use the power brush. Rather, treat stubborn stains with an appropriate cleaning agent. You can tumble a smaller rug in a dryer
- Steam-clean the carpet to eliminate dirt. Make good use of the floor tool
- Dry-shampoo the carpet (occasionally)
- Clean the carpet on a regular basis
What is a good vacuum for high pile carpet?
A thick carpet attracts a lot of dust and requires special care and maintenance. A good vacuum for your frieze carpet should have the following characteristics.
- Lightweight: you don’t want a heavy machine that plunges deep down into the fibers and weakens them
- No beater bar/brushes: these accessories are not good for high pile carpets. Look for a vacuum that allows you to disable their functionality or one without a brush
- Gentle suction: you don’t need the highest power to suck up dirt from a plush carpet. Look for a machine with moderate power
- Bigger wheels: big wheels do not get stuck in carpet fibers like smaller ones
- Air filtration: you need a vacuum that filters microscopic dust and allergens to reduce air pollution in your house
So, what is the best vacuum for high pile carpet?
It’s not easy to know the exact vacuum cleaner you need without visiting a specialty store. A big box store may not help and asking Google can confuse you even more. We are glad to let you know how different models perform on shag carpets so you don’t worry if you can’t find any information. Do not fear investing in a high pile carpet or regret that you had bought one in the first place. We believe that one of the above machines will be the best vacuum for high pile carpet you’ve had.
The best model will vary according to your specific needs but we are confident the Oreck LW100 Magnesium will make you happy. While it functions best on carpets, you can still use it on flooring. Moreover, it is both sturdy and lightweight, guaranteeing a long life. Want to see more choices?